This is the current array of brushes that I have been using lately. Over the past 15 years, I have used all types and forms, from natural to synthetic.
I’m not a brush snob, but I used to think that the most expensive meant the longest lasting and the best quality. Contrary to all rhyme and reason, I have settled and am most happy with white nylon.
The first three brushes on the left are my oldest, and the ones that I use the most. They are Arttec, and I can’t remember when and where I got them. They are cheap, but they are workhorses.
If you look closely, you will see a selection of Blick brushes that I have acquired recently. I thought that I would spend a little extra and see a big difference. To tell you the truth, the lacquer on the handles started to chip and peel almost immediately. I was very disappointed and won’t buy them again.
I think the final lesson is that it doesn’t matter what you use. As long at it’s comfortable and you don’t have to think twice when using it, then it’s a good fit.
I’m very much addicted to art supplies, and it’s not uncommon for me to flip through a large, glossy supply catalog before I go to bed. There are a few things that I won’t skimp on, such as canvas and paint. For the longest time, I used to use nothing but craft paint, but I recently broke that habit. I realized that I was just hurting myself, because craft paint just won’t hold up to the tests of time. Live and learn, right?
Lots of progress and some major changes with the chair this week. I have moved from the back to the front and to the inside with the design. Since I finished the main deck portion of the seat, I have had some misgivings about what I had put on. I knew that if a change was due, then it would jump out at me eventually.
This week, it finally did, and with a couple strokes of my black brush, I took away the outer lobes of the Naples Yellow. I allowed that to digest a little, then I decided to make all of the petals the same Cerulean Blue as the rest of the chair. I love the deepness of the Ultramarine, but it was just too translucent to tie in with everything else.
It was a tough decision to make, as I’m working against a deadline and the room for error is nil, but I’m pleased.
Most of the elements of the final design are in place, and by this time next week, the majority of the work should be done. After that, it’s going to take many hours to go in with the oil to outline and then touch up everything to perfection. Truthfully, I am feeling the pressure of the deadline, and my confidence goes from high to low. This pressure is part of the process, and it’s part of the purity of what will become the final piece. I am used to it and I welcome it.